Do You Know Me? by Michael Ceraolo

Do You Know Me?

A century later that question was the tagline
for a credit-card company's commercial
touting the advantages of their card
to stamp one with the mark of distinction

I did not have such a card,
but I was the unanimous choice
of the seventeen Union state governors
to speak that day at Gettysburg
 Newspaper coverage of the ceremony
talked more of my speech than the other one
I spoke for two hours, as was the custom
for political oratory at the time

Yet I did less in speaking for two hours
that he did in speaking for two minutes,
and demonstrated at least one instance
where two hundred seventy-two is greater than thirteen thousand

You can judge history's verdict for yourself:
my speech is widely available online
Do you know me?
My name is Edward Everett


Bio:  "Michael Ceraolo is a retired firefighter/paramedic and active poet who has had one full-length book (Euclid Creek, from Deep Cleveland Press) and a few chapbooks published (among the chapbooks is Cleveland Haiku, from Green Panda Press). He has a second full-length book, Euclid Creek Book Two, forthcoming from unbound content press, and is continually working on new and existing poetry projects."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gently in Nature by Michael Griffith

Grounded Angel By Desiree Cady