having learned nothing by John Sweet

having learned nothing
 
                          for dave kelly
 
 
was lying on the couch in an
empty room in an empty house when
the power went out, and I could
hear where the rain was
leaking in
 
I could hear the ticking of the
clock on the wall above me
 
had things to say, but
there was no one there to say them to
 
had points to make
 
had opinions to defend
 
could hear a siren getting closer
& felt my way to the window
 
saw the ambulance stop across the
street a few houses down, and I
had no idea who anyone in
this neighborhood was
 
wished the best for them
in my own small way



John Sweet sends greeting from the rural wastelands of upstate New York.  He is a firm believer in writing as catharsis, and in the need to continuously search for an unattainable and constantly evolving absolute truth. His latest collection is APPROXIMATE WILDERNESS (2016 Flutter Press).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gently in Nature by Michael Griffith

Grounded Angel By Desiree Cady